Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Mental Whack-A-Mole

People often talk about soldiers who've lost a war, or rebels without a cause, or generals without an army in soft, almost piteous tones.

What happens when you're a writer without an audience? Or a story, for that matter? The toughest thing about inspiration is making it happen when you need it to happen. In a way, it's sort of like that old adage about pots, watching them, and that whole boiling thing.

The ironic thing is, when my Muse does decide to drop in from whatever ethereal plane she spends her time on and whisper in my ear, it's usually when I'm in the car, or in the shower, or on the toilet, or during cuddle time with the wife... in general, at times when I can't write it down!

And frankly, I've got a shitty memory, lately. Seriously, it's resembled a game of mental Whack-A-Mole. This is why I spent a three-digit number on a very fancy phone with PDA functions to be my memory bank as well as my electronic leash. This is why I ask my wife and my roomie to remind me of things, as well as jotting reminders down in the UltraPhone, because frankly, sometimes I forget to look at the damned thing.

I am seriously considering asking both R & B to just adopt a policy of telling me to check my phone whenever I ask if I was supposed to do something. Absent-minded mad scientist, indeed.

However, I digress.

I've been doing my work for PZP lately, and that's been good. Been having fun with that, and I've got more on the burner, but I also want to work on my own stuff, and that's been harder to get a good start on.

Fortunately, I can has vacation coming up, and that will hopefully yield something. Yes, I am taking the laptop. No, I am probably not going to be gaming on it.

Well, okay, maybe a little.

No comments: